Monday, January 02, 2012

November

I'm finally trying to catch up. This could take awhile.

05: Craftiness with Dad
The Nicholsons are not people of many words (unless we're talking crosswords) so much of our bonding comes from shared activity: hiking, cooking, photographing, snorkeling (hint, hint), crosswording (aint no noun, can't be verbed), etc. My dad is always up for a good project, so on a recent trip to Atherton we attempted a "simple, 10-minute, barnwood frame" that was not true to any of its adjectives, even with all my dad's fancy tools.


Minute 9...


If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.



When we are working hard in the garage, Grandma is working hard in the house.






10: Cards for the Cardless
One of our "field trips" this month was meeting at a park so the kiddos could play while the mamas made/decorated cards for ladies trying to get out of unhealthy lifestyles and might not receive gifts or encouragement this time of year. It was COLD, but fun!


After a bit, the kids realized card-making looked kind of fun!










12: Shoots for Shots (of espresso)
Three-plus years ago I started PhotoSoBello as a sort of "side job" to being a mother. Who knew being a mother took up so much time?!?! Still, I still have fun taking pictures here-and-there to supplement my Starbucks fund or help send my kids to college. :)


Shiloh's cousin Kristen and her adorable family were excellent subjects...especially when Alexander forgot to stick his tongue out. (He's the son, not the dad.) ;)


I have some adorable helpers of my own. Siena loved that Alexander helped her learn to "climb" trees!



The Robbins are another great family! Matt was the college resident at University Covenant Church where I attended when I came to Davis as a freshman over ten (yikes!) years ago.


Careful, people, that Arboretum can make your feet dirty!


The Hollemans, our dear friends, are not only great at smiling, but also at color-coordinating. 


So this is how you get them to smile!!!


And this is how we keep my helpers happy...

14/17: Birthday Berzerkday



Nobody loves birthdays like Sarah Sorbello. Bethany made one of her famous ice cream cakes to commemorate THIRTY-FIVE years of "like crazy" birthdays!


These past seven years of marriage, I often get sad on the 17th of November, wishing I could celebrate my wonderful husband but knowing that he despises attention for his birthday. (Huh??) Well, I've finally found the solution. Little Sofia came into the world on the same day as her daddy (well, with a 32 year gap). PARTY TIME!!!


A fall recipe exchange with some other moms at Bethany's place was the perfect way to kick off a birthday.

You may have seen recently on Mary's blog that a nice friend surprised her with coffee on her son's birthday. Well, now you know where I got the idea! I was only reciprocating.


Sofia has developed a fine love for babydolls. Sofia, meet Emily.


Her love for Grandma is already well-cultivated. :)


Sofia requested carrot cake (from Prolific) as her birthday staple while her daddy asked for triple-berry cobbler. Both were fantastic and nicely complemented the pumpkin pies made for breakfast.

 
Later that night, since it was his birthday too, Shiloh went off to play some flag football.




And he even scored a birthday touchdown.


19: Turkey Trot
My last race of 2011 was the Davis Turkey Trot. Sam K and I opted for the 5K so we could actually enjoy the race (right, Sam?) since our running regimen took a sharp decline as the days grew shorter and colder. I'm currently formulating some resolutions for 2012. Stay tuned for "December."





Later that day (skipping naps) we went to the Causeway Classic at Sac State with Amelia and Cathie and ran into our old friend Craig who was up from San Clemente for the game. Other than tired and cranky girls, we had fun!



Winners

20: Winners
Speaking of winners, we finished off another successful IM season with five new t-shirts out of the six we were vying for. Not bad. I keep wondering when it will be our last season...but not yet!



21: Nimbus Hatchery
Yet another fun field trip with friends and family. The Nimbus Hatchery is up near Folsom, CA, and it was recommended that we come on this day to watch the Salmon spawning, which basically means being sliced open and having one's eggs stolen. Glad my babies don't come out like that!


For a nickel you can feed the rainbow trout in big holding tanks. The fish go crazy and splash and sputter, especially when you dump your whole bowl of food at once. Still, lots of fun for under a dollar... 


The Hafflys joined the feeding crowd.







Slice.


Open.


Reach in.


Scoop into tray.
Drive home with tired and happy children.

22: Engagement Aftermath
The night of the Causeway Classic, Shiloh and I had the honor taking pictures of Matt Klingler asking Nicole Carlevato to marry him from our hiding spots in bushes and gazebo rafters. Of course it was raining. And of course I had an allergic reaction to the bushes I was hiding in. Still, she said, "yes," and the rest is history.












24/25: Thankful Thursday


Shiloh grew out his scruff for the long weekend. I love facial hair. He does not. :)


Grandma never gets to rest. 


Mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, turkey breast, cranberry sauce and jello salads: perfect.




The girls have trouble sitting and eating like normal people. So we sent Siena down with the dogs. ;)



A trip to Lagunita...















Walking around at Stanford...





And the Sof is officially a TODDLER!

25: DHS Alumni Hoops
Shiloh and Gracie both participated this year. Shiloh milked it from the 3-point-line and brought his team to victory. Gracie offered more hustle than the rest of her team combined and helped make the game very close. Good work, old peeps!



Familiar?








27: Grammies are Golden
For Grammy's birthday this year the men put up Christmas lights, we found the perfect tree, we ate Chevys, and pulled off a surprise dessert/game night. Why? Because we love our Grammy!
 

















Miscellaneous Cuteness:






Doesn't this...

...remind you of this?

And that ends November for us. It was full. It was fun. And we are very thankful!

5 comments:

Grammy said...

Wonderful memories... thank you!
love the before and after shots and the Siena and Grandma wearing matching hot pink fleece!

The Armstrong Brood said...

Sweetness. Love the last two shots! Too cute!

gargur said...

Great pictures! Amazing how much fun can be fit into just one month(!).

The Hollemans said...

I love that you are just posting about November- makes me feel better that I haven't even gotten to October yet :) So many great pictures- I love Ruby in the back of the car and the one of you and Sof on your Thanksgiving walk. You are a beautiful and devoted mama. And those last ones? Oh my- that is a lot of cute! I love a good romance story!! Hahaha!

karen said...

So adorable! The wait for November was worth it. :)
When did Sofia become a blond?!
Love to you all!