Saturday, March 22, 2008

From One Thankful Invalid

I'm finally home and I've never felt so thankful in my life. Over the past four days, God has shown me that 1) He wants me to REST, 2) He cares, and 3) I'm loved. From the moment I looked down at my foot hanging off to the side of my leg, and could only rate my pain as a 4-5 out of 10, I knew God was taking care of me. Within seconds, people were at my side bringing ice and prayers, calling 911, taking cell phone photos, and making me smile. I didn't even have time to freak out about what might lie ahead before a familiar face jumped out of the ambulance to remind me that God is good. (All the time.) In the ambulance ride to Kaiser, I was able to talk to Shiloh on the phone ("Babe, what were you thinking?") and then chat with the paramedic about public vs. private education, politics, and quirky stories about Davis.

At the hospital, I had cool nurses and met Dr. Haji, who took great care of me through the whole ordeal. He and the head nurse cleaned my wound, pulled out some grass, put on a soft cast, and sent me off for x-rays. Surgery started around 10 and I was awake the whole time, which I had initially feared but ended up enjoying. I was able to talk to the doctors (though a sheet limited visibility) and see a "play-by-play" as they posted x-ray pictures after each screw went in. The doctors were friendly and did a fantastic job. Here is the finished product:


The biggest post-op relief, however, was when the obstetrician came into my room on Wednesday morning and showed me this:The dotted line goes from baby's tail bone (left) to skull (right) and about half way up you can see two little hands sticking up. They say that the nub on the left is going to be feet or something like that, but I think the little bean managed to get a ball in there and is already practicing his shot. Best of all, the whitish spot near the chin was pulsing rapidly, as if saying, "Hi Mommy! I'm okay!" I was so happy.

The next few days seemed to fly by, filled with text messages, visitors, flowers, phone calls, and lots of morphine. :) Thanks to everyone who came to see me! This is me (looking nasty) next to some girls from my junior class/soccer team who brought an Easter basket filled with candy and really nice notes from students:


My brainiac little nephew, Luke Armstrong, was able to compose this at 14 months. He's a keeper!

At Crepeville with my family for brunch before they headed back to the Bay Area:

I can't say enough how THANKFUL I am for everybody's prayers and support over the last week. And now I'm going to go prop up my foot and take ONE Norco. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that you're home, with Norco in hand. Loved the x-ray. Although it looks like someone's hair clip thingy fell into your leg along with the two bolts.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

We are so thankful you are home, too! And that the little Biscuit is still happily rising in the oven. You are such a blessing, even now that you are the Bionic Woman. You really fit into a family with metal in so many of our bodies! Sarah, Bethany, Grace and Richie, and now you! Whoa. We love you!
Mom and Dad #2

Gracie Cole said...

hey, i don't have metal in my body! only for a few weeks before... haha. anyway, sam you're doin great! glad you're home and taking luxurious plastic-bag showers

The Armstrong Brood said...

By the way, you DON'T look nasty in that picture... The best lookin thang I ever SAW in a hospital bed!

Thanks for the post. You're hilarious.

(My, how Luke's handwriting resembles his mother's!)

Evan and Lyndsey Hendrix said...

Sam you are amazing! You are also so loved, and I am so happy that God showed you that love when you needed it the most! I visited you in spirit, because I would have been there in a heart beat (with camera in hand :))if we lived closer...heal quickly, I will be praying for a speedy and happy recovery! Love you!!!