Dad's vitals are still relatively stable. His liver values are around 150 something-or-others, which is apparently pretty high. The doctors attribute that partially to the heart medication that is helping to regulate his post-surgery, erratic heart rate and blood pressure. Dad is also running a fever of 101+ degrees, but there is no sign of infection or other reason for the high temperature. They are using Tylenol or Advil to drop his temp and will go with a cold blanket if that doesn't work.
Today was another busy one in Dad's room. Visitors were there most of the morning and early afternoon. Siena stayed from 10:00 until after 5:00, including a nap on Sam's lap for about 90 minutes. She also sang songs for Poppy, cuddled with Grammy, and enjoyed watching the nurses at work.
Grace is scheduled to arrive in Sacramento at 10:00 tomorrow morning. She will be able to spend some time with Dad, and then our family will meet with one of Dad's neurologists to talk about possible next steps. That will undoubtedly be a difficult discussion, so prayers for clear minds and peaceful hearts are appreciated! Consensus on issues like this is crucial; the last thing Dad (or God) would want is a divided family as we face the days ahead. We are requesting no visitors at this point, so we can circle the wagons as a family.
Emotionally, God has given me so much comfort after an initially tumultuous ride. The shock of Dad's AVM rupture and the MRI results has faded somewhat, and my tear ducts have dried up from overuse. Ultimately, my confidence in God's ability to bring about good from Dad's plight (as sad as it is) has been reinvigorated by the numerous e-mails and messages I have received about how this tragedy has challenged people to reexamine their world-views or think about the kind of legacy they are leaving.
Thirteen days ago, when Bethany, Richie, and I walked into the ER to speak with the doctors and nurses about Dad's medical emergency, a nurse approached Bethany and wanted to verify that Dad had been working as a construction worker when he had his stroke. Dad would have been so proud to hear this, because he has always appreciated the skills of a good carpenter (like Uncle Richard) and often took on serious projects around the house. We're not sure where the medical staff got that information, but I've definitely been thinking lately about how Dad has constructed his legacy according to the Biblical blueprint.
Dad's powerful legacy did not come about haphazardly; he lived a very disciplined, selfless, and intentional life. He put his relationship with God before anything else. My mom was his second priority. Then came us kids, followed by his job and other "duties." (We have a saying around our house: "Do your duty. Even when it hurts.") Last on Dad's list of priorities was his own entertainment or recreational pursuits. That would sound strange to some, but, if you know Dad at all, you know that he took so much joy out of his top priorities that everything else just seemed unnecessary.
Particularly during times when I have felt lazy or compromising, Dad's example has reminded me that my legacy is being built every day, whether I intend it or not. I could focus on gaining wealth, power, social influence, professional recognition, a chiseled physique, or popularity; these can all be good things. However, if any of these were my first priority, they would leave me totally unsatisfied. Dad always challenged me to "keep the first things first" and, more importantly, he didn't just talk the talk - he walked the walk. If my kids can say the same about me when it's my turn to go, then I will, as Dad has, honor God and leave a impact that makes a difference.
6 comments:
Praying for you all today, as Grace joins you.
Thanks Shiloh for the updates and just reminding us what the truly important parts of life are; God and family and relationships. You are all in my prayers and I pray for peace and clarity during this time. We love you guys!
I can't tell you how much we have appreciated your blogs and the beautiful tribute you write each day of your Dad. We are praying daily and will continue to pray for unity in your decisions. We love you and your family very much.
Shiloh,
I and a circle of co-workers who know and know of our father have taken our posts and are praying for your family. Your updates have been inspirational and have given those of us who do and those who do not know the Lord a challenge to get to know him. Your father's slender shadow has been a calming presence as he walked throughout the building with an authority and his smile could melt your heart. Continue to expect peace from the Lord through this time of ebb and flow. I know...I've been there too, in 2007 when I lost my father. Be of good cheer...Your father is salt and light! We love him.
LaDonna
Shi,
I am still in shock over these things...My heart is with you all as I have been thinking about your Dad lately. And what a legacy that he continues to leave! My prayers are with you all as I feel this trial affect me as though you were family....that's just it, you are my family in Christ! Peace of Jesus rest upon all of you!
What an inspiring father. Thanks for all the heartfelt thoughts. I know Bethany as a neighbor and fellow Christian. Our prayers are with you! God bless you and your family!
Post a Comment