Tonight, at 7:20 p.m., Dad passed from this life into the next. He will be deeply missed by many of us, but rest assured that Dad is in good hands... the best, really. We abundantly confident that God welcomed Dad with a resounding, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
Dad was surrounded by Mom, Bethany, Richie, Colson, Grace, Sam, and me. Sarah was at home, per her wishes. We were all praying, listening to the CD of Bethany playing Dad's favorite songs on the piano, and talking to him as he breathed his last. God mercifully took him without any apparent pain or discomfort.
We haven't fully discussed plans for the next week, but Dad definitely wanted a memorial service, and, in classic form, he even picked out the songs. In fact, not too long after Dad's own mom died, we took a family trip to the Davis Cemetery for Dad and Mom to purchase their burial plots ("so that we would have less to worry about when [they] died"). Who does that!? I'm telling you, the man was ready to go whenever he got the call. We're tentatively thinking that the memorial service will occur at First Baptist Church on Saturday morning, September 4, 2010. More details will be forthcoming, but everyone would be invited to join in the celebration of Dad's wonderful life.
Please accept my hearty thanks for the prayers, support, and encouragement over the past two weeks. Our every need has been met abundantly, and we are very grateful for friends and family that love us and care for us in our time of need. It is a worthy testament to the life Dad lived.
To paraphrase some of the last words of Paul in 2 Timothy 4: 7-8... "Dad has fought the good fight, he has finished the race, he has kept the faith. Now there is in store for him the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to him on that day -- and not only to him, but also to all those who have longed for Christ's appearing."
Though Dad's race is over, we remain on the course. May we each keep the faith and finish strong...
17 comments:
Though we are so sad, still here on earth, what incredible JOY Dale must be filled with, meeting his Savior face to face, to be in his perfect, heavenly body--fully healed now of any illness, pain or sadness of any kind. Praise God for eternity with Him!! (still praying for you guys!!) jenni & joe
Though God called your father home and he was ready to go, he will be missed by those who remain here. I never met your dad, but from what I've heard about him, this world was fortunate to be have been graced by him. You are a wonderful legacy and testament to him. I know you and your family have been inundated with offers, but again, please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything at all-no matter how small, that I can do for you or your family. My prayers are still going up for all of you.
God has blessed all of us with your Dad. I am so grateful to have known him, and to have seen how God used him in such a mighty way.
Your family continues to be in my thoughts & prayers. May God bless you all.
Sorbellos, thank you for sharing your lives with so many - regardless of the circumstances. We Restrepos have been blessed by multiple connections between our families. Dale's humble ministry of reconciliation will continue to inspire me, as his life and death have shown what it looks like to be Christ's ambassador. Praise God that his passing was swift and without physical pain.
Mark Restrepo
Proverbs 12:28 (NIV)
28 In the way of righteousness there is life;
along that path is immortality.
We are going to miss him so much too...but his legacy will continue to live on in all of you! We know that he is with the Lord and there had to be so much comfort in that. We love you all!
Amen to Evan's comment. We've kept close as we could to Dale and Kim through all these years because we were, and are, impressed by what a wonderful job they and God have done raising and mentoring you kids. We will miss Dale a lot, but you are a living testimony to him. Thank you God for Dale's life and for his wonderful family.
Your dad's legacy will continue to inspire us all. You all have been so strong and so faithful through this difficult journey. I will continue to pray for God's peace in your life and we look forward to seeing you sometime soon.
Jen, JJ, and Emma
Our thoughts are with you Sorbellos. Your father was an exceptional man in all of his work and we can only imagine in all of his life
The staff of Area Board 3
We are praying for you guys through this difficult time. We love you guys- and miss you! Wish we could be up there for support. God bless.
It is with great sadness that I hear the news about Dale. I have no words to express my grief. All I have is Jesus and Dale's faith and witness.
Keith
Blessings to the Sorbello family. If everyone lived with the good intent, sense of responsibility and regard for others that Dale so perfectly exemplified the world would be a better place. He left our world better by the friends and family he touched inspired, thank you Dale for being good to us all!
The Kelsen family recognizes and mourns your loss. 18 years ago, my dad exited earth after battling many physical demons. Given the choice, quick and unexpected would've been my preference. But, like you, I wasn't consulted, it happened how it happened.
I was the only one in the room when he checked out, but at least I was there.
His eyes smiled when I chided him about his condition that day, but that's how we were.
He was incapable of speech by that point, but not communication. I knew him, he knew I knew him, and we needed only look into each others eyes to understand.
Your dad's not gone. Not by a long shot. He lives in you and your family. Thank God, because you still need his strength, and guess what... you have it.
Mourn the physical loss, rejoice the legacy in which you were so fortunate to be honored.
Dave
I'm sad and crying all over the place. I know I'm supposed to be most happy that he's with Jesus, and in my heart I am, but my tear-ducts are just sad right now. Sad, and flowing, though I'm sure by now yours have run dry. I'm trying my best to make it up there for the memorial. Dale, Mr. Sorbello, is ALREADY missed.
To coin a Dale word. You will be "sorely" missed my friend. He was the best friend I've ever known. Though time and space separated us for many years he was never far from my thoughts. More importantly, he was there when I fell and encouraged me with God's word and his caring, concern, and love for me as only Dale could do. A Christian beyond measure, and a real brother in the Lord. His family was blessed to have had him these years. And what he leaves behind cannot be bought. I shall never forget him and feel a great loss right now. But I know he is in the greatest hands ever...his Lord's.
Michael Lainhart
I shall miss my friend, but know he will be watching over all of us to keep us honest and faithful to the peope we work to help and each other. Thanks Dale, its' been a great ride, we shall meet again.
Carol Risley
I only had brief interactions with your parents over the past couple years but I assure you that the two of them brought light into my life and my heart. God radiated through your Dad in such a strong, undeniable way that I left his presence with a smile on my face and a sense of peace in my heart, every. single. time. I will always remember my last connection with Dale. He quoted the Bible and gave me words of strong encouragement on my upcoming move. I have now made that move and cannot make it back for the service but please know that I mourn with your family and pray for you often.
Thank you Sorbello Family for sharing your Dad with us. So many lives, including my own, have been impacted by him.
Kim Blix
Post a Comment