Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Holy Baby!

Don't you just love those bumper stickers that proclaim the greatness of the driver's above-average kids? We are submitting a design for a new bumper sticker: "Our Baby Is Holier Than Yours." Because it's probably true. Siena went to her cardiologist appointment today and was diagnosed with two small ventricular septal defects (VSDs) and a patent ductus arteriosus (PDA... not THAT kind). In real-talk, the VSDs are "holes in the heart" and the PDA is a heart duct that didn't close properly after birth - probably due to Siena's prematurity.

(Sidenote: Doesn't it sound weird for Siena to have a cardiologist appointment? I thought only old people had those... apparently not!)

Well, Siena was a good girl at her appointment today. She kept her squirming to a minimum while the technician (Albert) did his thang. It reminded Sam and me of an earlier ultrasound, when we saw Siena for the first time.

Regarding the holes in Siena's heart, we have some follow-up stuff to do with the cardiologists, but Dr. Woo said there is a chance that all of the holes will close on their own. We'd like that a lot.

Tonight, Siena enjoyed hanging out with her "Cousin Dan" (really, her "First-Cousin-Once-Removed Dan," but that doesn't have much of a ring to it). While we enjoyed a delicious dinner prepared and delivered by Aunt Bethany, Siena had her first emotional breakdown, and her crying was nice and loud. We consider it a good lung workout. And, maybe it will help those holes close.

Meanwhile, Siena's holy heart doesn't seem to be affecting her. Here she is after commandeering our Cal King bed... :)



Good night to all! Keep the prayers a rollin' if you're that type! :)

10 comments:

The Armstrong Brood said...

Lucky for you, we're that type :) and even Luke gets a grin when we ask if he wants to pray.

It's usually this:

"Dod, hep baby. MAN MAN!"

("God, help Baby. AMEN!")

Karen said...

So I know you don't know me. I actually went to high school with Lyndsey, but I have a VSD and when I was born it was the size of a dime! They thought they were going to have to perform open heart surgery on me. Luckily the hole closed almost completely on its own. Today I still have that tiny little hole but it never prevents me from doing anything.

Anyways, I just wanted to stop by and give you some hope and tell you that she is beautiful! :)

Shiloh and Samantha Sorbello said...

thanks, Karen!

Anonymous said...

She is holy. Even holier than her holy aunties Sarah and Grace! God and time can close those holes and shut that duct up! ;) Meanwhile she has more places for bad bugs to enter... be Papa Bear! Protect that cubby! :) Can't wait until we're certified non-contagious so we can hold her again. We love her madly, and love both you full-grown cubs, too.

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

She is so cute, I can't wait to meet her. Hopefully she won't make a habit of those "loud lung workouts" :)

jenna marie said...

Such a sweet little girl! I'm with Luke on this one... "Dod, hep baby! MAN MAN!"

Kelli said...

Hey Sorbellos, Jen told me about the arrival of baby Siena and I've been following your blog...she's beautiful!
Praying that those holes close up on their own and everything goes smoothly...

Jennifer Jarvis said...

Cute new pics! Good to hear about her heart. We will definitely pray.

Blake N. Cooper said...

Hey Old Buddy!
Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you, Sam, and of course, adorable Siena. Keep the posts coming!!
Blake