Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Siena Unmasked

Okay, here are the highs and lows from today...

Highs: Siena was taken off the nasty CPAP machine that forced air down her little nose. Her blood gas levels (CO2 and O2) were in the normal range, and she is taking the desired number of breaths/minute (30-60/minute is the goal). The nurse untaped the hoses on her face and removed the hose from her nose. We were finally able to look at Siena's face! They taped a smaller hose below her nose to blow oxygenized air into her nose, but it is more of a supplement than a necessity. It was wonderful to look at her. Her eyes are puffy from the lack of circulation caused by the tubes and tape-job, but we loved studying her face as she breathed, cried, and sucked a pacifier. She even peeked at us every once in a while as we held her.

That's another cool thing - I held her in my lap for the first time. Sam had been the DH (Designated Holder), because I didn't feel comfortable holding her with all the tubes, sensors, etc., but I took a turn today. It was fun. I think she likes me.

We also enjoyed visits from my dear Aunt Robin and Uncle Richard. Dad and Mom Sorbello stopped by with food (thanks!), and JJ - Siena's favorite policeman - swung by briefly. When she's old enough to talk, I'm going to have Siena call JJ "Po-Po."

Low: The nice nurse told us that she was off for the next two days. She said that, unfortunately for us, she would probably see us when she got back to work on Friday. She told us that Siena may be developing some jaundice and might be in the ICU until Monday.

We're hoping and praying for an earlier exit, but it will depend on how Siena responds to the feeding that will begin tomorrow morning. She has been on a sugar-water diet, which sounds horribly unhealthy, but she will be getting some of Sam's milk via her IV and maybe a bottle tomorrow. She can't nurse until her breathing stabilizes and the oxygen tube comes off.

Here are three videos from today... hopefully they have sound. I'm trying to fix the videos that aren't audible in past postings. They work on my computer, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Anyway... enjoy...

Italian Baby (2:10 p.m.)



Long Toes (4:33 p.m.)



Long Fingers (4:39 p.m.)

1 comment:

The Armstrong Brood said...

Love the videos. She looks SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!