ALL are invited to Dad's memorial service on MONDAY, September 6, at 6:00 p.m., at First Baptist Church (click HERE for directions). Yes, that's Labor Day. As Dad was known to say, "Death is inconvenient." We hope you can make it, though.
Kids are very welcome, but there will not be childcare. Dad's four grandkids (all under four years of age) will be in attendance, including Colson Dale Armstrong, so we obviously don't mind having kids there! Dad always had a soft spot for "the kiddos." There is a nursing room available at the church, where babies can nurse or parents can hold "screamers" while watching the festivities. It may technically be called the "cry room," but it isn't meant to hold all the criers that may be in attendance. :)
It is a come-as-you-are affair, just as Dad would have it. (Dad always wore a suit to work, but he referred to it as his "costume.") I will likely be wearing flip-flops and, if it's hot, shorts. Remember, Jesus wore sandals; if they were good enough for Him, they're good enough for Dad's memorial celebration. But you can dress up if you'd like. What I'm trying to say is "come comfortable."
We haven't figured out a format yet, but we know there will be a slideshow presentation with pictures from Dad's 60 years of life, music (maybe something by us "kids," if we can pull it together), some talking, and post-celebration dessert. I have been asked if there will be an "open mic" set-up or other opportunities for people to share (briefly) about what Dad meant to them as a friend/colleague/second-dad/etc. We obviously have time limitations, but we haven't gotten far enough into the planning process to know if that will be an option.
In other news... we had a family trip to In-N-Out today for lunch. It was a great meal, as always - only Zeke cried. And Richie splurged with an XL soda a 3x3 animal-style burger. He deserved it, because his dissertation was approved this morning, meaning that he officially has a Ph.D.. Dad missed out on the typical Sorbello/Armstrong invasion of In-N-Out, but I'm sure he was enjoying his view.
If you care enough to have read this blog post to its conclusion, we hope you can attend Dad's memorial celebration. Huge thanks (again) for all the support. We feel so well-loved.
13 comments:
I am incredibly saddened to hear of Dale's passing. I worked with Dale at DDS for many years and enjoyed working with him and respected him for his knowledge and appreciation of others. He had a wonderful wit, that brought smiles to those around him. I was a former Davisite and retired the same time as Dale. He truely was a good and decent man and I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the memorial service as I have another committment to officiate a wedding on Saturday. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
Thank you for your blog. We have followed it from beginning to end with tears, prayers and smiles. The Standiford's will be there to honor the fine man of God your dad was and the amazing legacy he left behind....He is missed so much already.
I knew Dale for a short period of time but he made a big and lasting impact on me with his knowledge and personality. I will continue to keep you and your entire family in my prayers. God Bless. Cesar Garcia
I have also read your blog from beginning to end and so wish I had known your father. I have been so incredibly touched by his life through your words and been brought to my knees in prayer that my life of commitment to Christ would more resemble his. I am a friend of Richie and Bethany. We will continue to lift you in prayer.-Theresa
Shiloh,, I want you to know how much I've appreciated your steadfast devotion to keeping us updated on your Dad and family. This quote from a Scottish philosopher seems apropos. May our Lord Jesus be the man who we honor above all others, now and forever, in our minds and hearts and with our words and deeds.
Love,
Mark Restrepo
"Show me the man you honor, and I will know what kind of man you are, for it shows me what your ideal of manhood is and what kind of man you long to be."
~ Thomas Carlyle
Even though our exchanges was often brief, on the phone or in passing (over 10 years), he has always made time for my endless questions. I would miss "bugging" him time and time again. He is always willing to give his advice for free and with caution :). He was a good mentor, and he has taught me plenty. Godspeed Dale. Cherylle Astronomo Mallinson
All death can do to the believer is deliver him to Jesus. It brings us into the eternal presence of our Savior.
John MacArthur
*****************************
I've been on the board of elders for FBC with Dale for the past six years. We came on together six years ago--served our 3 year term, we were both off one year, then back on 2 years ago. We would have both finish the current term in the summer of 2011.
He has been the individual that I always called upon for advice. He always returned by phone calls promptly and read my e-mails/reports, provided comments, and was a great spiritual friend/colleague. He never compromised the bible and always stood strong. I admired him greatly.
I like the MacArthur quote, because death really can do nothing except deliver the Christian to our Savior. It can do nothing else.
I'll be there Monday night to pay tribute to a great Christian man.
Mark Champagne
My thoughts will be with you and your family as you celebrate your father's life on Monday. Although I never had the pleasure of knowing him, a man of your father's numerous qualities will certainly be missed on this earth. May he rest in peace, and as you said, enjoy the view as he continues to watch over his family. Thank you for your very moving blog throughout this process.
Dear Sorbello Family,
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how proud your father was of his children and for good reason. His smile was so big when ever he spoke of you. You are an amazing family of believers. Our God will take each of us into His arms someday. My thoughts and prayers are with each of you. Thank you Shilo for keeping us in the loop and for sharing your insights, inspiration and faith. May peace be with you and your family during this time of loss and I will see you Monday to celebrate your dad's life.
Jonathon, Cecilia, Whitney and Chase Brunson
Thank you for posting the Memorial Service info!! I would love to come and honor your Dad.
So sorry to hear of Dale's passing . Worked with him at VMRC years ago when the kids were just little. Great patience, good boss, always a friend. Just spoke to him about a month ago about Early Start issues. He and Kim have done a wonderful job with all 4 children. I have been thinking of him daily for the past 2 weeks. Sincere sympathy to the entire family.
I don't see how I could miss this time to honor and love on your dad. Hopefully my pneumonia will be out of the way. Hope to see you all soon!
Shiloh,
My thoughts are with you and your family. It sounds like your dad cherished his family and you and your siblings are continuing that legacy.
I am so sorry for your loss.
Robin (Salmon) Hart
Post a Comment