Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"Jesus Wept"

The title of this post is the shortest verse in the Bible.  It is found in John's Gospel (11:35) and describes Jesus' reaction to seeing Mary and Martha grieving the death of their brother, Lazarus.  Jesus fully intended to raise Lazarus from the dead (which he later did), but he was troubled because of the pain he saw in his friends.

I love this picture.  The creator of the entire universe, having come to earth as a man to provide a way of salvation, was crying because his friends were sad.  The people around watching this scene were taken aback by Jesus' loving display of emotion.

This verse has always stuck out to me, because I can be a total cry-baby, and I used to hate it.  That little verse lets me know that I'm in good company when I cry about something serious.  I cry when I talk about my own painful life experiences or when I really care deeply about something.  That said, I have cried more in the last week than I have in the previous 10 years combined.

Seeing Mom in pain because of the prospect of missing her best friend of almost 36 years makes me cry.  Talking about Siena not remembering the wonderful time she enjoyed with her Poppy makes me cry.  Thinking of how much Sarah loves our Dad and how she will have difficulty processing this trial makes me cry.  Talking to Richie about how much we'll miss having Dad to call for advice makes me cry.  Hearing about Luke's pure and child-like faith when he heard that Poppy will be going to be with Jesus soon makes me cry.  Getting messages from friends who have looked up to Dad as one of their father-figures makes me cry.  I'm a wreck. :)

But these are not tears of despair.

They are obviously tears of sadness, but they are also tears of hope.  For Dad, because of his faith, the end of this life is not The End.  It is the beginning of something far better.  Dad would be the first to tell you that this world was not his home.  Dad often quoted Paul, who said that "our citizenship is in heaven.  And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body."  (Phil. 3:20-21)

Dad's body is extra-lowly right now, but he is hanging in there.  His vital signs are stable, but there has been no improvement.  He looks okay, but a week in a coma does not do a body good.  However, Dad, more than anyone I know, looked forward to the time he would meet his Maker and receive a body that was imperishable.  He sometimes had vivid dreams about this, and savored every one.

We are still praying for a miracle, but we are also praying for wisdom and peace during this time.  Thanks again for all of your prayers and support.  I feel like a broken record saying that so many times, but please know that I really mean it.

Please pray for Grace, as she is still in Antarctica.  She is coming homeward on the next flight out, but the weather there has pushed back her estimated departure time.  She is currently scheduled to leave tomorrow (Thursday) if weather predictions hold.  We all look forward to having her back in town for a bit, but wish it wasn't under these circumstances.

If people want to visit Dad and Mom at the hospital, they can.  Just let us know if you're coming.  We like short, quiet visits, preferably in ones or twos.

Goodnight.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shiloh,
Woke up at 5:15 this morning with your dad on my heart. Couldn't wait to read your blog for an update. Your post is sobering and peace-giving at the same time. Reminds me when our son, Luke, who had Down Syndrome, was in the same situation after a drowning accident. The pain and sorrow are sure, but the peace even deeper than words can express. An interesting blend that only those who find themselves in this type of situation can understand. Please hug your mom for me and know that I am in deep thought of your whole family:) Cory Smith

Jenna said...

I read this last night right before I went to bed and I fell asleep with the lyrics from Amazing Grace on my heart...Particularly these verses:

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

Love you guys...and still praying.

Jenna

Tim and Beth Brady said...

We are praying for you each and every day and your dad is constantly on my mind.

When Tim and I walked through his dad's illness I remember the deep pain and sorrow that accompanied the joy that comes with knowing that none of us are meant to stay here and that he was going to heaven. It's the most difficult thing we have faced and yet it was such a clear reminder of God's faithfulness. It was in the moments of complete and utter feelings of despair that God would always show up and provide comfort. He never left us during the grieving process and still is faithful as we face the challenges of not having his dad around for so many milestones. Time has truly eased the pain and we look back at that difficult time with some very surprisingly fond memories.

We are still praying for a miracle but more importantly we are praying for you all as you face tough decisions and more difficult moments of complete reliance on Him. God has and is using this situation in your life to reach out to others and I am praying He continues to do that.

Tim has told me that if you ever would like to talk to him about this then don't hesitate to contact him. I know you have an incredible support system but please know that Tim is only an email/facebook message/phone call away.

Praying without ceasing...

Tim and Beth Brady

Molly said...

Hi Shiloh,
I'm not sure whether you remember me from Blackstone, but I want you to know that I am praying for you and your family. Thank you for sharing updates.

I read this verse tonight, and I pray that it will be comfort for you:

Psalm 37:23-24
The steps of a man are established by the Lord, and He delights in his way. When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong, because the Lord is the one who holds his hand.

I know that the Lord is holding your father's hand, and yours as well. Your dad sounds like an amazing man who has delighted in the Lord's guidance over every one of his steps.

Your family has been on my heart and will continue to be in my prayers.

--Molly Metzler

Shauna said...

Sorbello Family,
I just read your blog for the first time in a while and heard the sad news. I send my prayers to your whole family and especially your dad. Miracles happen everyday and I will keep praying for your dad's recovery. Your family has touched so many people over the years and I hope you know how much support and prayer we are all sending your way. Wish i could be there to hug you all- sending my love, prayers, and lots of hugs!

Unknown said...

thank you for your incredibly candid and informative postings on your blog. while we have not liked the fact of the matter, we have so much appreciated knowing what was going on with your family. you all are so much in our thoughts and prayers during this very difficult journey. thank you all for being a beacon of light and faith in the midst of the sorrow. in his name, susan and jon ruth

Jim / Judy P. said...

Jim and I have been praying for all of you in this difficult time. I am overwhelmed by your faith and love for God. As I was reading the latest update I was listening to the song, "How He Loves Us." I was struck by the line that says, "I don't have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way He loves us. Oh, how He loves us."
Praying that each of you feel His undeniable love, comfort and strength.
In Christ,
Judy Pleau

Shiloh and Samantha Sorbello said...

Thanks for the comments... so encouraging!