Sunday, September 14, 2008

Siena's Zeroeth Birthday

Well, sometimes we plan life and God decides to remind us that He's in control. For example, this weekend we planned on watching our "how to have a baby" DVD, which we purchased for a fraction of the cost of an actual birthing class through Kaiser. Essentially, we did the lab before listening to the lecture. That happened today, when Siena Grace Sorbello decided to enter the world 29 days before she was due. The tale of the tape:

- Birthday: Sept. 14, 2008, 5:30 p.m.
- 35 weeks and 4 days "old" (due date = October 13)
- 18 inches long, 6 lbs. 2 oz.
- long fingers and toes
- light brown hair
- blueish-purple skin
- umbilical cord wrapped around her neck at birth
- admitted into the natal intensive care unit (NICU) for at least her first night so they can monitor her vitals and hook her up to a CPAP machine, which forces air down her nose and into her lungs so that her lungs strengthen, drain residual liquid, and stay expanded

Now, here's the story in video:

Off to the Hospital... (8:22 a.m.)



In the Triage Room... (9:06 a.m.)



In the Labor Room... (12:22 p.m.)



Four Centimeters... (12:52 p.m.)



Still in Labor Room... (3:37 p.m.)



Delivery Room... (4:40 p.m.)



First Head Sighting... (5:03 p.m.)



Hot out of the Oven... (5:33 p.m.)



Back to Mama... (5:49 p.m.)



Steak and Potatoes... (6:45 p.m.)



Sleeping Beauty... (9:01 p.m.)




Musings:

- Because Siena was born one month early, does that mean she turns "one year" 13 months from now? It only seems fair, because otherwise full-term babies who turn one year old have one extra month of development. This could be important for Siena's athletics in the future... :)

- After seeing a pregnancy and delivery, I cannot fathom how people who have witnessed these miracles believe that we are simply products of chance and time. We are most certainly creatures... and not just of habit.

- Sam is as tough as any girl I know (even Grace), and she got an epidural because her contractions hurt so badly. We have newfound amazement for the millions of mothers who have given birth without the relief of an epidural.

- Seeing your baby with IVs in her tiny wrists, a tube going down her throat, and a tube going down her nose is not fun. We want to rip them all out and run out of the hospital with Siena... but we're going to give them a few more hours with her before doing anything drastic. :) That said, we feel extremely blessed. While we'd like to have baby nursing and in Sam's arms, there are babies in the NICU with Siena who have a FAR steeper road to climb. I feel for those parents. Prayers are appreciated!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

CRAZY!!! Welcome, Siena (sorry for spelling your name wrong on the card), and congratulations to the new parents! Keep us posted on any needs that you guys might have. How long do you think it will be before you can go home?

Anonymous said...

OK - I just watched almost all of the videos and have a few comments:

1. Shiloh - you made me laugh out loud more than once with your commentary. Particularly your explanations for muffins and bananas and barf bags.

2. Sam - you look amazing for being in the midst of labor! You are a champ!

3. Siena - you are awfully cute and tiny (although not TOO tiny!). I can't wait to meet you.

jenna marie said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Armstrong Brood said...

Way to go, Sam! Good cheerleading and videographing, Shi. Short or long, pain meds or no, labor is a total trip, is it not??? Praying for the cutie patooty. She's going to do just fine. Just hard to wait to hold her and kiss her all over!!!!

Rebekah said...

Congratulations, Sam and Shiloh! Welcome sweet Sienna! I think you know that Aidan was a 35 weeker, so we know well the roller coaster you're on. We will be praying for all of you, for grace and healthy lungs and rest and healthy lungs and ... you get the picture!

God bless,
The Kurths

Evan and Lyndsey Hendrix said...

Since you guys know how emotional I am, I LITERALLY balled/cried throughout all the videos! I am just so happy for you both, and I can't believe I talked to Sam just an hour before she gave birth. Amazing. I will definitely keep you all in my prayers. Love you and miss you guys!!

Bronwyn said...

Congratulations to you all! Shiloh, what an awesome documentary job you did in recording your ever-calm and beautiful wife do the champion job of bringing your little one into the world :-)

Yay for Siena!!!

We are the Ganyos.... said...

Amazing. IT was so neat to see those videos and witness a glimps the glory. Siena is so precious. I cant wait to meet her.
Erica

Jennifer Jarvis said...

Wow, I feel like I don't even need to attend birthing classes after seeing all this! I also cried more than not, but I have a good excuse right? :) We are SOOOOOO HAPPY for you both! Can't wait for Siena to return to Davis and are praying for a speedy recovery!

Gilda said...

Oh all those videos brings back memories. Maybe that means Ian and I should get back on the ball and ready for the birthing process soon too (reread all those notes from the class).

Congratulations Sam and Shiloh! We await the healthy homecoming of Siena and are keeping you all in our thoughts.