The nurse told us that Dr. Woo would be wanting to speak with us about a test she wanted to do on Siena. We were on edge, wondering what else might be wrong with little Siena. I peeked at the computer the nurse was working on and saw the word "murmur" and figured that Siena had a heart murmur. About 30 minutes later, Dr. Woo came into the nursery and confirmed that, saying that they had detected a murmur ("sounded like a loud jet") that morning and we would need to have a cardiologist do an echocardiogram on Siena early this week. This doesn't mean she can't come home with us, but it was alarming nonetheless.
The heart murmur could be significant (requiring surgery) or it could be minor ("innocent") and heal naturally. Only a cardiologist can make that call after looking at the echocardiogram. Thankfully, we can do that at an out-patient appointment and we're still set to take Siena home tomorrow afternoon. We're excited that both sets of grandparents will be here tomorrow evening to coo and cuddle over her.
Here are some pictures from today:
On a walk with Dad/Mom/Sarah Sorbello at a cute park near the hospital...
The creek has crawdads, tadpoles, and frogs... Dad caught one! What a stud! (note: He also proved to us on the walk in the park that he could still do cartwheels!)
Sarah was not doing cartwheels... she isn't a huge fan of walks, in general. :)
Kissy-kissy... she is so soft and delicate.
Sam with Siena after nursing and drinking from the bottle... it doesn't take a doctor to diagnose Baby with a serious case of milk coma.
This is a close-up of our milk coma victim...
Milk comas are so cool that they make you smile involuntarily...
Family picture taken by Mary, one of our very favorite (for real) nurses... Sam likes to blink in pictures. :)
We're hoping and praying that Siena will be homeward bound tomorrow! We love our little squirt.
5 comments:
We're so happy to see her cordless and in your arms. Ahhhh. Her grin picture is amazing! What a sweetie.
Best wishes for a "home again home again jiggedy jig" on Sunday!
(Yeah, you'll get to know *all* the kiddie rhymes soon, but no one knows them as well as Grammy Sorbello.)
Dear Shiloh and Sam,
Many best wishes and congratulations on your beautiful daughter! I realize it may be strange to have not seen either of you in quite some time and write to you, but after reading what you posted about a heart murmur in your girl I wanted to share....
I too was diagnosed with a heart murmur from birth (still have it) caused by a valve defect and have had a full, healthy life with unrestricted participation in sports and activities. I am not sure this is the kind of information you may want to have, but I thought I would share with you from the perspective of someone who has had a lifelong murmur that such diagnosis does not necessarily preclude one from being tall (what my parents were told I would not be) or from participation in aports and regular children's activities.
I wish you all the very best of health and happiness as you take your daughter home soon.
Many congratulations,
Mary
Is her hair blonder than Sam's was as a baby? There's something rather Shilohish to me about her complexion, but maybe the pictures are misleading. I hate that I have to see her only by computer. But sheesh, if I got any of you guys sick I'd feel terrible for the rest of my life, being the guilt-plagued girl that I am.
Looooooved the pictures. Looooooved them. Sweetest ones being Shi kissing Siena on the nose. So sweet! And then of Mommy Sam with the slumbering beauty. Then the milk coma shots made me laugh aloud at this beautiful hour of 4:30 AM when my throat and chest hurt so much I can't sleep...
(Glad I've avoided you all?)
i can't believe the milk coma pictures!!! absolutely hilarious! so glad she can finally come home. hoping for the best with her echocardiogram. i am living proof of living an overactive, unrestricted life with a heart murmur.
Mary,
Thanks for the note. Are you Mary Langsner (aka Miggs)? If so, great to hear from you! If not, we'll keep speculating. :)
Shiloh
Post a Comment